So what has everyone been making lately? Bags and wallets of all sorts, I hope? 🙂 Well…I thought it was time for another sew along! The Pick A Pocket wallet is the lucky candidate….How does that sound?
Don’t forget there is the choice of TWO versions with this wallet!
This time we will be doing things a little differently. My lovely and talented pattern tester and Facebook Group admin, Ellen, is going to be sewing and posting the steps here on the blog.
Over in the Facebook Group another one of my lovely and talented pattern tester and Facebook Group admin, Rachel of Tiger in a Tornado, is going to lead the way and make sure everything runs smoothly and there is help when you need it!
Of course Ellen is sure to pop in there too as well as the other admins so all in all we should have an awesome sew along with loads of FUN! 🙂 I can’t wait to see all the new Pick A Pocket Wallets!
The sew along will start on Tuesday 11th August (Aussie time) and you can follow along at your own pace. BUT….now is the time to start gathering your supplies! 🙂
So…..what do we need? Let’s start with fabrics.
You will need:
- Exterior fabric: 1 X piece of fabric W 30cm x H 30cm (W 12” X H 12”)
- Lining fabric: 90cm (1 yard) of 112cm (44”) wide fabric
Ellen has chose TWO lots of fabrics because she is being ultra efficient and sewing BOTH versions at the same time! Here are Ellen’s fabrics:
and for the second one:
Other supples needed are:
- Fusible woven interfacing: Pellon Shape-Flex SF101, 45cm (1/2 yard)
- Vilene Decovil 1 (or Peltex 71): 1 X piece W 21.8cm x H 21.8cm (W 8 5/8” X H 8 5/8”)
- Pellon 809 Décor Bond (or other firm non-woven interfacing): 25cm X 20cm (10” X 8”)
- Small amount of fusible fleece. (Vilene 640 or Pellon Thermolam Plus)
- Matching thread (I have used Aurifil Cotton 40wt)
- 1 X 20cm (8”) or longer dress zipper (two if choosing the second zipper pocket option)
- Small piece of clear vinyl for ID pocket
Extras which help BUT are not 100% necessary are:
- Fray stopper
- Double-sided Wonder Tape
The Wonder Tape really makes he job SO much easier! If you haven’t tried it before, please DO It is awesome stuff! You can find Wonder Tape Emmaline Bags HERE.
Hardware needed is:
- 1 X 12.5mm metal snap button (or similar)
- 2 (if you carry a phone in the wallet) or 4 X 20mm metal corners and Gutermann HT2 or other strong craft glue to hold the corners in place.
The corners are optional however they are inexpensive and really add to the professional look of your wallet! You can find a tutorial for attaching the corners HERE. You can buy the Snaps and Corners at Emmaline Bags HERE.
If you don’t have it already, you can grab the pattern HERE!
Great. I am making my second one one now, but plan to participate in the sew along!
Just ordered the hardware…..looking forward to the sewalong
Looks like it is time to sew some more. Six done and who knows how many more to go!
I still have not got the hang of making sure I do no miss the sewalong. Do you post everyday or do we post to our calendar?
Sounds grea.Looking forward to the sewalong!
Sounds great.Looking forward to the sewalong.
Great! So glad to have you join in Judith! 🙂
AWESOME! So glad you are joining in, Vicky! 🙂
LOL! You ROCK Marilyn! be sure to send me the pics to add to the website page! 😉
Hi Maxine…..We will post the steps over 4 days at the start of the Sew Along BUT you can join in anytime and work to your own schedule…just join in the event in the group and post your progress or ask for help anytime you need it! There will be people sewing at all stages throughout the event so it should be a lot of fun and always someone around to help if you need it! 🙂